Saturday 12 January 2013

Zom-B: Underground

SORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRY! I know, I've been terrible, but I've had loads of stuff with school, uni applications and family stuff. But I'm back now. Because it's been forever since my last post, I've decided to come back with a real treat for you guys. 

As you guys may or may not know, Darren Shan is one of my all-time favourite authors, and I've grown up reading his Cirque du Freak and Demonata series. So, you can probably imagine how excited I was when he announced he was writing another series called Zom-B. I assume I don't have to explain to you what it's about. 

The first book was simply called Zom-B, and was centered around zombie attacks occurring in London and what happened to the main character, nicknamed "B". I'm not going to tell you any more about this book, because if I give away anything else the twists will be revealed and you will hate me for it. If you haven't read the first one, stop reading NOW. Trust me. Go, read it, and come back here. I'll wait for you, I promise. GO AWAY.

Hello, people that stayed. I don’t know if you’ve actually read the first book or if you ignored me. But whatevs. Many first books spoilers to come. But before I start gushing over Shan’s new book, let’s find out what it’s about. Ready? Set? Boom, here goes the synopsis:




Waking up in a military complex, months after zombies attacked school, B has no memory of the last few months. Life in the UK has turned tough since the outbreak, and B is woven into life- and battle- in the new military regime quickly. But as B learns more about the zombies held in the complex and the scientists keeping them captive, unease settles in. Why exactly was B saved? And is there anyone left in the world to trust?
 
Right, so I finished reading this book literally ten minutes ago, and I wanted to write my review as soon after as possible, because I didn’t want to forget any of the cool bits. I was left reeling by both of the twists in Zom-B, especially the one at the end. I was all like “HE JUST KILLED THE PROTAGONIST! WHAT?”  which, I’m sure, is exactly the reaction he wanted to get. But, of course, she wasn’t really dead. Well, she was, but not in the way you think. Confused, much? Let me clear that up for you.

Basically, B has turned into a totally badass zombie. But she’s not a mindless beast like the rest of them, because she regains her consciousness. The name given to this kind of zombies is ‘revitalized’ or ‘Zom-head’. She’s exactly the same person as she was in the first book (well, aside from the fact that she now has fangs, a gaping hole in her chest and razor-sharp bones sticking out of her fingers).
In the first book, I hated B. I think Shan took the task of creating a character no one liked and making them like her anyway upon himself. She used to be a racist, violent bigot. Granted, this was because of her father’s influence, but I couldn’t help disliking her intensely. After reading this book, though, I just can’t anymore. I hate to admit this, but Shan really has managed to redeem the character!

I challenge anyone to start reading this book and stop halfway through. It’s physically impossible. The breakneck pace and the fascinating storyline just make the reader keep turning the pages, intrigued as to what is going to happen next. It’s completely action-packed and gory, and I recommend it to all readers who are out there. Well, if you’re scared of clowns maybe you should think twice about it (look at the cover of Zom-B: City. Yes, that's an eye on his nose).

I don’t want to give the ending away, but let’s just say that zombies aren’t the worst things B is going to find herself faced with in this new world she finds herself in. Two books in to the series, and I’m already hooked. Shan has a gift; he’s one of the only authors than can keep the twists fresh and unexpected, making the reader question everything every step of the way. I love it. Go get it and read it, people. Seriously.

Keep reading,

-JRD

No comments:

Post a Comment